2 Week Training Break

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    alancraig
    Participant

This has been a weird training season. Last summer and fall were awesome. After 27 weeks of training, I took the recommended 2 week training break during the early part of December. I was building back up and making pretty good progress, when I ended up with covid in January. It wasn’t that bad, but it did set me back. I missed a week of training, then did a full month of low mileage and easy runs before I started adding in some harder runs. I took some time to regain all of my stamina, but it’s all back (and then some).

At this point, I’m pretty close to where where I left off in December.

If I went strictly by the calendar, I would be due for another 2 week break at the end of May. But with a 1 week sick break and month of nothing but easy running, I’m not feeling even remotely run down or beat up. Would you still recommend taking the break? Or maybe just taking 1 week off this time? Or possibly pushing the break out a few weeks?

Leyla Porteous
    Keymaster

I would take the break. The risks from pushing through when you are feeling good, but your periodisation indicates a break is due, far outweigh any issues with the step down in training.
    If you haven’t been racing then 1 week may suffice for this cycle.

alancraig
    Participant

Thanks! No real racing this cycle. Well, maybe a local 5K around the first of June. But nothing really difficult. So I might just take a week off this time.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Posted in

alancraig

You must be logged in to create new topics and to reply to topics.