2024 Planning

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    sgreenstonenj
    Participant

I am currently doing a maintenance plan for the winter that takes me to early January.  I have my race schedule tentatively planned with the following A races scheduled

Olympic Tri 17 weeks from end of maintenance

Olympic Tri 10 weeks later

70.3 Tri 7 weeks later

I am more of a run pace/bike HR kind of athlete.

What plans would be recommended to apply to this kind of schedule? Nothing really fits like a glove here, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

coachanne
    Keymaster

We do have several Olympic plans that you could use including a 16 week plan to get started with. The week between your maintenance plan and the start of your Olympic plan could be filled with an additional week from the maintenance plan.  For example, just do the last week 2 times and then start the Olympic plan.

After that first Olympic tri, you will most likely want to begin a 70.3 plan.  The second Olympic tri will just be a training day incorporated in to the 70.3 plan.

Without knowing your experience in the sport or the level of commitment you can make, you can choose the appropriate level here:

https://www.8020endurance.com/product-category/triathlon-plans/

I hope that helps give you some clarity!

Coach Anne

sgreenstonenj
    Participant

Thank you Anne, that is helpful. But curious, if my second Olympic is also an A race, would making it just a training day have an impact?

Also, experience level is advanced, I am shooting to podium in my age group at least once in 2024 with a hope to qualify for Age Group nationals as well. From a time perspective, intermediate levels seem to fit the bill for me.

One additional question for now.  The maintenance plan doesnt seem to have any swim sessions that incorporate tools such a boards, paddles, etc. Are those part of the other plans/

Thanks so much.

coachanne
    Keymaster

This is a tough question without knowing your past triathlon experience.

My initial answer would be that it wouldn’t be in your best interest to have an “A” race Olympic triathlon, and another “A” race while you are training for another  “A” race 70.3 7 weeks later.  Every athlete is different so I would typically tell my athletes to pick one distance to focus on and put your efforts there.  In this case I would recommend to focus on your first Olympic and your 70.3 because there is enough time between each race to allow your body to recover, build and peak again.   Training for each of these distances is very different.

Our “Improve your swimming” plans incorporate the use of equipment so you could use that plan as an overlap for the swim portion of the maintenance plan if you are interested.

Coach Anne

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Posted in

sgreenstonenj

You must be logged in to create new topics and to reply to topics.