50 mile ultra plans

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jasonkriegelstein
    Participant

I’m signing up for a couple of 50 mile ultras this year.  I’ve used your marathon plan, and enjoyed it.

I’ve seen a lot of ultra plans that include back to back long runs, ex: 20 miles Saturday and 20 miles Sunday.  I like this idea.

Do your 50 mile plans include back to back long runs?  I don’t see it on the sample week.

I’m also debating between beginner and intermediate. I’ve never done this distance before, have completed two 50k’s.  I read the description and guide, just not sure which I really should sign up for.

coachanne
    Keymaster

Jason,

Congratulations on tackling this distance!   Our Level 0 plan for this distance peaks at 8 hours of run time; however, there are several weeks where you’ll hit over 6 and 7 hours of running throughout the week.  The cumulative run time through the week follows our 80/20 intensity balance to get you through training successfully!

If you are newer to running and this distance, you may want to look at the Level 0 plan.  If you are an experienced runner and have more time to commit to the training, you can look at Level 1 or above.

Hope this helps! Happy training!

Coach Anne

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by coachanne.
    Jasonkriegelstein
    Participant

thanks, I’m excited about tackling the longer runs as well.

do the plans include any back to back long runs? Or just one lone run per week?

coachanne
    Keymaster

The plans do consistent of days of running back to back which builds cumulative mileage for the week and is based on the 80/20 intensity balance.

For example, running 2 20 mile runs back to back on a weekend is going to put your body in to a state of recovery/ repair/ stress that will impact the following week of training.  The stress and fatigue from that weekend of running will, most likely, compromise the training for at least the next few days.  Fatigue from those big days begins to compromise form, and in turn lead to injury.   BUT if we take that same time and spread it out over the week and into several runs, the result is a much happier mind and body.

Here is a good resource about understanding the 80/20 run plan and intensity balance that might help:

Understanding Your 80/20 Run Plan

Hope that helps!

Coach Anne

theboss
    Participant

Hey Jason, just wanted to give my testimonial that you can totally use an 8020 plan to tackle a 50 miler without having some of the crazy back to back weekends in other plans.

I forget what levels I used (maybe level 0 and then level) and I had great success jumping from a 50k to a 50 miler. Because you’re running nearly every day, you’re building up tons of weekly fatigue, so there’s no need for killing yourself in two days. But there will be weeks that you’ll have something like a 2 hour run one day and a 2 hour run the next. And you’ll also have way more speed work than most of my ultra friends do in their plans. But it’s worked for me.

The big key I’ve found is 1) stick to the plan and 2) try to do your long runs on terrain as similar to your race as possible.

Jasonkriegelstein
    Participant

Perfect thank you both for the responses!  I appreciate your support, wish me luck!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Posted in

Jasonkriegelstein

You must be logged in to create new topics and to reply to topics.