Ironman 140.6 after 70.3

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    machinekoder
    Participant

For this year, I’ve planned to do my first Ironman distance event. However, the event is still far away, end of August and I want to do a 70.3 in between. I’ve done the maintenance plan during the Fall, so I’m reasonably fit for the coming season. My question is primarily whether it makes sense to start with the level 2 70.3 plan and then after the 70.3 switch to the full distance plan or to do the Ironman plan to begin with.

The 70.3 is on May 19th, the 140.6 on August 31st, so there is not enough time to do the full 140.6 plan, but I should have a good base from the 70.3 plan to start it in the middle.

Does this make sense, or would you choose another approach?

coachanne
    Keymaster

Congratulations on deciding to tackle your first Ironman!

I am a firm believer in training for your A race (which in this case would be your Ironman) and then fitting in other events in to the training schedule.  If they don’t make sense, time wise, then I typically have the athlete return the focus to the A race.

That being said, I think the best thing to do would be to load the IM training plan in to Training Peaks and see how the 70.3 would fit in to the schedule.   Does the mileage match up with the A race plan?  Is it too much too soon?

IM training is a long journey and one that has to be traveled with intent.  If you feel like the 70.3 is doable with your current fitness and you want to pursue the training, then I would advise you to treat it just like another training day without compromising your other workouts before and after the race.  Recovery would be key so you can continue on the path to completing your IM!

Happy training !

Coach Anne

machinekoder
    Participant

Sorry for the delayed answer. I jumped head first into the training (doing the 70.3 plan) instead of doing the planning properly.

So I tried to overlay the full distance training plan level 2 over the schedule with the half distance level 2 plan and the B race event as target, overlapping ~6 weeks. The full distance training plan starts with a volume around 10h, the half distance plan is at roughly 12h around that time. The big question I have here is whether it makes sense to start with a level 2 plan and add another level 2 plan right away (maybe with an inserted rest week after the 70.3) or to do the level 1 half distance plan to transition to the level 2 full distance plan, doing the level full 2 distance plan as planned, shortening the half distance plan. That would result in a longer, more gradual increase in training volume, rather than a slight drop around the B race in the middle or if I cut the level 2 half distance plan short to transition to the level 2 full distance plan.

As for recovery, I think that should be fine. I did my first 70.3 last year in 4:20 and felt recovered in less than a week, transitioning to the maintenance plan.

One more question: The training plans usually have the first swim the second day after the rest day. So if that’s a Monday, that would be Wednesday. I have a fixed training swim on Tuesdays every week, at least in the Winter. However, the level 2 plan is relatively intense already and has an anaerobic run session on Tuesday. Just moving the swim to Tuesday just feels very exhausting from experience (cramping and in general slow swim performance) and swapping the two days doesn’t really work well due to the Wednesday having the recovery run/bike. What would be the ideal strategy to integrate the Tuesdays swim session into the training plan? The swim is in the evening, so I unfortunately cannot do the running session afterward.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by machinekoder.
    coachanne
    Keymaster

It sounds like you have a pretty full schedule which will make it difficult to move workouts around.  If keeping your Tuesday swim in place is important to you, then I would really focus on proper fueling and hydration going in to the swim.  Cramping is most likely from dehydration and muscle imbalances.  There is nothing wrong with a slower swim (remember we are focusing on the 80/20 balance) if you are sticking with the prescribed workouts.

If this is a Master’s swim group and the workout is more intense, you are swimming with friends (that also comes with a level of competitiveness with the lane mates), then you might want take a different look at the intent of this fixed swim.

Coach Anne

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Posted in

machinekoder

You must be logged in to create new topics and to reply to topics.