Tradie – Training for IM Melbourne 70.3 (Nov 12th 2023)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    bryn
    Participant

Hi 80/20 Crew,

A little about me…Melbourne 70.3 was my first IM 70.3 distance, my training program was taken out of the 80/20 Triathlon book, I didn’t do the full structured plan but maybe jumped into it half way (not optimal I know but I did have a half decent base from training for smaller distant triathlons throughout the year)

My time at Melbourne was 5h 03m which I was stoked with.

I started the Level 1 70.3 (Run HR Bike Power) program mid June, I am currently on a 3 week holiday in Europe (I shifted the program to ensure I peak in time for the race in November) but i’m keeping up my running and swimming albeit a lot of zone 2 stuff but hopefully that will maintain some fitness and especially the fact I’ve been able to have some quality rest from work etc…

That been said, my Tradie job as an electrician means i’m always moving whether it be walking around or working hands on manual labour 8-10 hours a day,

My average daily step count would be around 15000 before including any running steps.

So literally from the time I wake up which Is usually around 4:30am until the time I goto bed which is usually around 8:30pm I’m always moving, whether It in work, or training as an AG triathlete.

My question is…would it be beneficial for me to reduce some of the low intensity workouts as i’m getting ample low intense movement throughout the day albeit not specific or Zone 2, or should I just pursue the program as it is for optimal gains?

On a side note I ensure to get 8 hours in bed every night – which would equate to approx 6.5-7 hours of actual sleep according to Whoop.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and advice.

Thanks

coachanne
    Keymaster

Hi Bryn!

I admire your level of activity, especially while training for 70.3. That being said, I am a firm believer in sticking to the training plan as much as possible but also listening to your body. For example, if you are out in the hot weather and come home exhausted but have a tough run/bike on the schedule, you can always move that run/bike to another day within the same week.

You have a physically demanding career; and it will be important to listen to your body as you progress through the plan. Matt wrote a great blog about listening to your body which you may find helpful: https://www.8020endurance.com/yes-but-how-do-you-feel-more-evidence-that-subjective-training-metrics-have-more-value-than-objective-metrics/

Hope this helps!

Anne

bryn
    Participant

Thank Anne, your reply is much appreciated, I will take a red of that blog you referred to.

Regards

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Posted in

bryn

You must be logged in to create new topics and to reply to topics.